In 1937, Arno VonKoenneritz, H. Silverstone and Sixtus Compdon founded Von’s United Beverage (now you know why the name, Von’s) for the purpose of “buying, selling, trading and dealing in cereal, malt and brewed beverages, wines and other alcoholic liquors”.
In 1938, Von’s received an Importing Distributor License, set up shop on Railroad Street in Old Conemaugh Boro and began selling various regional beers.
In 1960, Von’s added Anheuser-Busch products to their portfolio, which consisted mainly of Pittsburgh Brewing products (Iron City). These two brewers combined for a formidable and growing product line.
In 1963, an entrepreneurial Ed Stan purchased Von’s and in 1967 he moved the business into a retrofitted gas/service station in the Kernville neighborhood of Johnstown. Volume growth of the Anheuser-Busch brands, the success of IC Light and the additions of the Heineken and Yuengling brands created solid growth. This along with the 1977 flood required numerous expansions of the warehouse facility. One expansion was into the adjacent music/dance studio originally run by Gene Kelly.
In 1992, Dan and Connie Thompson purchased Von’s United Beverage and moved into the Johnstown community. Significant organic growth along with numerous brand and territory acquisitions necessitated the move in 2003 to a newly constructed state-of-the-art warehouse and office facility in Richland Township.
Von’s currently sells approximately 1,700,000 cases to 500 licenses in Somerset, Cambria, Clearfield Counties and a small portion of Centre County and employs 35 fulltime employees.